Wednesday, July 30, 2008

the evidence




i'm going to try my best and explain what happened, but just know that it sounds much better in person or over the phone!

It was about 6:45pm monday night and the boys were out in the backyard while I was cleaning up dinner. avery started to cry, so I went and picked her up from the other room and on my way back, i just looked out the backdoor window to check on them. they are standing right at the bottom of the stairs from the backdoor, maybe 3 feet away. I am holding avery in my left arm...... I see luke hit dylan and I immediately bang on the window to get their attention. My hang goes right through the window on the first bang and glass flies everywhere. I say "Oh my gosh!" don't move boys! not even realizing what has just happened to my hand. I look down because I see blood coming from somewhere and I remember thinking....that's something I've never seen before. my skin had peeled back right below my wrist and I was looking at what I thought was my muscle or bone or something! I suddenly feel ill and also feel the need to pass out. I think to myself...no, I can't! i'm holding avery! I pull it together, take a couple deep breaths and realize I need help. I call mark who is on his way home from work in dallas. I'm screaming at him telling him I cut myself, I cut myself!! he keeps saying, "what? I can't understand you!" he finally gets that something has gone wrong and he tells me to call 911. I didn't think I needed an ambulance or anything, but I needed to get to the hospital quick....and maybe an ambulance would be the fastest way?! mark gets off the phone with me, calls his mom who is right down the street and tells her there's an emergency. she arrives within 5 minutes. Now comes the humor.....within these 5 minutes this is what happens...
I call 911, they get my info and I tell them I cut myslef on a glass window and it looks pretty bad. by the way...I am still holding avery. the paramedics on the phone are asking me questions... it went something like this...

911: is the blood squirting out of your arm or is it pouring out?
me: oh it's just pouring out, not squirting, but it's a lot!
me: (yelling) luke and dylan stay away from the glass!!
meanwhile dylan starts screaming and I have no idea why
911: ambyr, I need you to go get a dry cloth
me: o.k.
me: (still yelling) luke! go get a diaper on!
911: ambyr, I need you to go get a dry towel and press firmly on your arm.
me: yes, ok.....

I am still holding avery in my left arm, while holding the phone in my right hand while blood has now covered my arm and is dripping on the carpet.
I have now remembered that dylan is still screaming and realize I need to go calm him down. I go over there, ask him what's wrong and he shows me his finger. there is a dead worm, split in half hanging on dylan's finger and his flipping out because he can't get it off.

me: here dylan, I've got it, it's just a worm. It's dead, it's not gonna get you
dylan: it's not gonna get me?
me: no, are you o.k.?
dylan: yes

911: ambyr! I need you to stop being a mom for a second, go get a dry towel and sit down!

my mother-in-law has now arrived and at the back gate where she can see what's going on.
the old lady (emma lou) that lives behind us apparently heard all the noise and came over to see if everything was o.k.

I see my mother-in-law and I walk over to her and she takes avery from my arms. I finally go get a dry towel as I was instructed 5 minutes ago.

me: o.k., I've got the dry towel and I am pressing firmly on my arm.


the ambulance arrives about 3 minutes later and they check out my arm and wrap me up. they tell me I need to go to the hospital and would I like a ride....well that sounds like fun!
but mark shows up and he ends up taking me to the hospital. we are at the hospital for 3 hours from start to finish...and 14 stitches later.

I guess we can never "stop being a mom" even when there's an emergency!

17 comments:

Missy said...

Um... OUCH! Hope you're doing okay!

Danielle said...

You totally left out the part about the dead worm when I was talking to you on the phone...that part is classic! Were you able to take those photos or did Mark do it? Are you feeling better? OUCH!!

Biz said...

Seriously?? No picture of the battle wound?? I feel so...gypted.

Mary said...

I understand that completely. The always being a mom despite falling apart yourself. I guess for you more literally than most.

Christine said...

wow, that is quite a story girl!!! I can't believe that really happened. I hope that you are feeling better and that you heal quickly

Carey said...

Ambyr, I am glad you are okay. That is a pretty funny story. I am guessing the person on the phone was male and just doesn't understand being a mom. Take care!!! By the way in another post the picture of your dad and Avery is absolutely beautiful!!!

Bobette said...

Oh my gosh, you handled that very well. That's so nice your mother in law lives so close by to help you. I hope your doing better.

Donnie and Jen Brown said...

wow thats pretty funny, scarey, but funny!! moms are the best at multitasking, a man would have never been able to handle all of that!!

The Piersons said...

Oh my gosh! Ambyr! That is so crazy. I'm glad you're doing okay. I would've freaked out and dropped my child I'm sure.

Mindee Graver said...

Being a mom always comes first, its not even thought about. I'm glad you are okay, did Avery cry at all during the comotion, or was she her usual charming self? :) Love ya girl, way to truely Multi -Task!!

April Lowe said...

Ok - OUCH but hilarious! How are you feeling now? I love that Dylan was screaming because of a dismembered worm on his finger. I hope you heal fast!

the S family said...

Wow, that is crazy! It is a funny story now. I love that the mom thing comes to natural, even in a crisis! Good job pulling it together, and I am so glad the kids were alright!

Kathryn Cooper said...

Wow what a story! Good job not passing out or throwing up. I see others are upset about not having pictures, but I for one am glad you didn't stop to take pictures during this crisis. (= I'm glad you're ok now.

Missy said...

I hope it didn't weird you out that I wanted to see the damage! It was every bit as bad as I imagined it would be! The story is hilarious. I'm glad you blogged it so you'll have a record of it! Seriously though, it could have been a lot worse, I'm glad you're okay!

Sarah said...

Wow! I can't believe that. What a story. Moms never get a break. You deserve one though.

Chris and Angie Purves said...

I'm sorry about your accident, but atleast you have a good story out of it. Hope your hand gets better soon.

Kari said...

Well I'm glad there's no picture or description of your bloody gash! :) I had to read quickly over the parts where you talked about blood. Especially the squirting or pouring part...ew. I throw up when stuff like that happens. I dry heaved as I started my 4th year hike at girls camp after a guy that was helping us fell off of his truck bed. And I didn't even see the damage...just the descriptions from all the girls that did. I'm a wimp.